Shine Like Stars

Shine like stars in the universe as we hold out the Word of life (Phil. 2:15)
We're not trying to be rock stars but just shed some light on a sad and lonely world. Stay tuned for how God works through weak and tired, sometimes really cranky vessels.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent trees


I don't know much about lent.  I the basics like the day before lent starts is 
paczki day (which is amazing, but I sadly went the day without a paczki yesterday) and 
that you fast from something for 40 days.  All the while focusing on Christ and his amazing sacrifice.
So that's all I know about it and maybe I made that stuff up.
But it's always interested me so this year when I read about doing a Lent Tree on Andrea's blog
Opps... I guess they're called Easter Trees.  
Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try.  My version is a ghetto one compared to Andrea's.  
I bought my trees at Target's dollar spot (the boys were bummed they weren't read) and 
 I'm just going to use random stuff to create ornaments each day. 
Today we read about having faith like a mustard seed and glued seeds on to a piece of paper.


Today as the kids and I had our tree time I shared a bit from this website and this website
We also talked about fasting.  I shared with them that I'm fasting from facebook 
and from eating after 7 (tonight's just the first night and I'm already really wanting a snack).
Nathan decided to fast from Caleb's I-touch 
and Caleb's fasting from chocolate.
I'm interested to see how serious they are about their fasting :)

What do you do for lent? 

2 comments:

  1. I love Nathan's fast.

    And your trees are far from Ghetto! They're more like homemade Pottery Barn. Plus Jesus. Which is awesome. Like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do proactive things - setting aside extra time to focus on prayer/scripture. I have also in the past given other things up....this year....giving up security- for real. Moving with no house and no job....just faith. KNOW that God will do huge things with our family! :)

    ReplyDelete